Wednesday, July 25, 2007

my house is a very very very fine house

today i will write about my house in salt lake city. why? oh, i don't know, maybe because i've become acutely aware of it as of late due to the busted waterline that's been filling my basement with water for the past 5-days, of which my renters failed to tell me about until yesterday.

anyway, so this is my house. it's located in the historic district of salt lake, is about 107 years old, and ugly as all get out from the outside. don't let the greek flag appearance throw you off, it's actually a pretty cool place. please, come inside with me...

this is the front room. it looks a little bare since this is post-move-to-boston photography. actually, it was always a little bare, but is my favorite room in the house at a certain time of day when the sun pours through the window and warms the couch perfectly. it made for a great reading room. i miss it.

this hallway connects the back bedroom to the front room, and there is a bathroom in-between. neither of those rooms are interesting enough to warrant their own picture, though i will mention that the shower in that bathroom has 3 different shower heads, one from the side, one from the front, and one from the back. so that's pretty cool. the yellow makes me happy. yellow=cheerful.

upstairs is the "master" bathroom with this huge jetted tub that seems to impress people. i hate baths. waste of time in my opinion, and the thought of soaking in my own grime just doesn't appeal. maybe i shouldn't admit that i'm grimy. oh well.
the best part of this room though is the view out the window. it looks out over the backyard of mine and the surrounding properties, and also onto my apple tree, which produces the best apples in the world. i miss that too.
back downstairs, the front room connects to the dining room, (and the knee bone connects to the shin bone) which is the first room you enter in the house. in the corner on the left you will note my beloved piano, and in the right, my amazingly resilient palm tree. i'm pretty sure i watered that thing, maybe, once every 3-4 months, but it's still going strong!
oh, and that's cafe rio on the table- my 9th love in life.





beyond that lies the kitchen. this is one view and below is another. it was here that i developed my love for cooking. maybe it happened here because the 5' x 7' apartment kitchens i'd been dealing with for years previous just didn't scream "hey! come spend time in here!" and my mom's kitchen growing up only represented dishes duty.





nevertheless, you can see how having two, count them, two ovens and loads of counter space might have increased my appetite (pun intended) for cooking.






and last, but definitely not least is my favorite room in the house- the laundry room. odd? yes, but the lime green soothes my soul and i love it. please take a moment to notice the shelf upon which a bunch of crap is piled. my brother installed said shelf so that we could put the tv there and watch it while doing laundry. subsequently, this room got the most attention.





anyway, this post is boring and i've got a flooded basement. better go.

4 comments:

NatAttack said...

Your house is GORGEOUS. Maybe we should go live there.

Colleen said...

Your house is freaking beautiful!!! Amazing! Help me make me and Rach's house as hot as this.

Rachel said...

can we move your house to Boston? I love it!

Linda said...

I love this post!! Your house is fantastic!!