Monday, January 08, 2007

long blog, blog long... a palendrome? not exactly.

let me tell you a little bit about how my day has been rollin'....

at exactly 10:38 am this morning my boss called me to tell me that our primary instructor had been recruited away from our company by no less than one of my customers. this represents a significant strain on my job, as he is the one who teaches 95% of the classes that i put on the schedule.

at 1:02 pm the president of the company called and left me a voice mail asking me to call him as soon as possible. i missed his call because i was on the way home from the airport where i had just dropped seth off to go to new jersey until who knows when.

1:33 pm i called the pres. he started our conversation by telling me that he had decided to make some changes in management and "let go" both of our company vice presidents (includes my boss), and that he gave them 2 weeks as of this morning. he went on to acknowledge that the responsibility for completely running our division now falls directly on my shoulders, and that with that he'd like me to sign an employment agreement for at least 6 months.

there were other details of which i can't write right now, but my job is about to get a lot more intense. i'm not even sure how i feel. i hate the idea of working there without my boss, who is my mentor and advocate, and the buffer between me and all that i hate about the company. on the other hand, this is an answer to my prayers. right now i just sort of want to cry.

i'll be flying out to utah next week to confirm the details and to strategize some changes for my division with the president, and mostly to say goodbye to my boss.

---------------------------------------------

okay, enough business. i've been meaning to write the following post for a few days and had i not been getting to bed around 3 or 4 each morning, i may have done so before now.

on saturday night i had the incredible (thank you seth) experience of attending the BSO and hearing Joshua Bell perform on the violin, along with Holst's The planets. what amazing talent exists in the world! it was truly awesome!!!

i love the symphony for so many reasons; the music, the atmosphere, the generally high class people attending, the fact that symphony hall lighting makes everyone look beautiful, etc. etc. etc. i also love the fact that for 2 1/2 hours i get to sit there and have my thoughts accompanied by beautiful music. on this particular night, my thoughts drifted to many of my experiences in boston that have really summed up my overall experience over the last 7 months, and i realized that each thing i was thinking about was a personal experience i have had with some of my friends. i wanted to briefly share, mostly for the benefit of my remembrance, but also because i think you all should know what i hold dear to my heart:

kylee: the time we hung out together in your room all evening. you shared your story and your feelings about your brother, among many other things. we laughed a lot, we cried a little. i've never seen you more real.

seth: not long ago you came over to my house at about midnight. not an uncommon occurrence, i know, but that night you had come to comfort me in my sadness. we laid on my bed and chatted, quoted arrested development of course, laughed too loudly to the point that carri had to come in and remind us that is was 2 am. then we bonded over some of our struggles and a particular goal we both had made for january, 2007. it was exactly what i needed that night.

marie: oh, too many to even number!! let's see...the T ride post following "jen" to crate and barrel was a good one, or our weekend spent in cape cod where my mom liked you more than me...or maybe it has been the countless nights we've talked and laughed or cried until 3, 4, even 5 in the morning. or maybe it's the fact that "we... finish...e...each..others... sen...sentences." i love you girl!

tim: once in march, and once in november; two different gloriously sunny days where we spent time on two different bridges. i feel like i knew you better in those hours than most others that we've spent together. even the silent moments were telling. i'll never forget your reply to my question, "what is your favorite thing about boston?"...

preston: a few weeks ago we were in the car driving from **secret** location, and you told me again and again how in love you are with marie. the way you described how you feel about her, and the sincerity with which you did it, is exactly the way that i would have described how i want someone to feel about her. keep it up, and you just might deserve her some day. ;)

peggy: our "post thanksgiving, pre-jane austen marathon run to ghetto target to find yarn, but ended up finding that fabulous jacket instead" trip. i know you shared some really personal stuff with me that day and i with you, and we instantly bonded to the point where i went out and bought us a broken heart friendship necklace. see me for your half.

rachel: "i luhv ya". lying on your bed that one night with peggy and somehow eating that cake into a heart shape. we share an obsession with shoes, bags, and black clothing (although you win out by a long shot). and don't let it go unmentioned that you gave me the best haircut of my life, and facilitated illegal underground activities for me with the estetician. i heart rachel.

colleen: i remember you're first sunday at church in your hot pink skirt. hot!! that's when i knew we should be friends. then there was our first VTing appointment at the boston common and the more you talked the more i thought, "when i grow up i want to be just like colleen!" you freaking rock this temporarily carb-less world!

jared: i believe you referred to it as "transcendental"; that one time we sat down in your front room and played hallelujah all the way through without a mistake. we just sat in the echo of those beautiful harmonics and all we could do was look at each other and nod in approval. here's to many more.

anyway, thanks to all of you for the wonderful times. now i must go book a flight.

5 comments:

Jeje said...

Good luck with everything going on with you. I know it'll all work out.

Thanks so much for being there for me this past few days. Guess what, I haven't shed a single tear yet today? Huge accomplishment!

Lady Bills said...

i love your laugh... especially at my jokes.

i love the way you can sing like an angel.

i love that you inspired me to get that FAB jacket.

i love your car. so much cuter than mine.

i love that i was sitting next to you at the symphony AND that at intermission we said the word SCHNACKS like 8 million times... and how no one else found it funny. and those geek orchestra kids that kept looking back at us... especially when i crumpled my lindt chocolate wrapper. i love that you coerce me into saying things that rhyme with merts mees and how all you have to say is carrot stiX... and i'm off running. GOSH it's good to know you. i am the luckiest girl in the world.

Colleen said...

Haha! You're so cute.

Rachel said...

Julie why haven't you been in my life forever ago? You and your voice are like butter, and I want to spread you on toast and eat you.

NatAttack said...

Julie--I'm sure you'll do great! Do you need a place to stay in the SLC? I'm here a few more days before the great East-ward trek.