Friday, February 23, 2007

not tonight

is a really good song by tegan and sarah. most people hate them, but i hate those people. not really.

it's friday afternoon, so naturally, time for some senseless rambling...

i was reading one of my many started-but-not-finished journals the other night. the first entry, of course, indicates a commitment on my part to write frequently. that entry is on january 26th, 2006. the next entry is on march 1st, and the following (and final) entry is on april 10th. so much for the commitment.

but then i got to thinking, what do i want a journal for anyway? i have a blog which pretty much covers the highlights of my life should my posterity somehow ever become interested. i know, i know, a journal is supposed to be more personal. and sure, there are things in my journals that i'd never post on a blog, but when it comes down to it, i'm pretty sure i don't want my kids knowing some of the crap i've done or continue to do. and yes, perhaps some would argue that it may help my kids to identify more with me, but i've never read my parents journals and somehow i've still managed to believe that they are human beings. so in short, i'm done feeling bad about not being a journal writer...yeah, maybe that's what i'll give up for lent...journals.

last night i went climbing with marie. it was awesome as always, and i climbed a 5.8, which i consider to be a feat for someone who 1. lacks upper body strength, and 2. has only been climbing maybe 5 times? plus, marie gave me a high five, so that means something, right? of course, that was right after she got done doing the same climb one handed. make no mistake, that marie is a climber! she did tell me that i have to buy my own chalk bag now. maybe it's because i kept forgetting to give hers to her before she took off up the rock. i blame her at least 50% for that. but ok, ok, i'll get my own.

i've had my i-tunes shuffling through all my music (and audio books, podcasts, etc.) today which gives me the chance to listen to a lot of stuff i don't normally gravitate to on my own. besides, it's kind of exciting to listen to a chapter of great expectations stuffed somewhere between 'tool' and 'the flaming lips'. yeah, no, i don't actually listen to the whole chapter, but if i let it play for a few minutes, i can consider that my reading quota for the day has been fulfilled.

let's see, what else can i say for posterity sake? um...

uh...

er...

don't do drugs!

6 comments:

NatAttack said...

Ju--I love this post so much. I struggle with the journal pressure too. Next time you're over, come look at my new Year journal. It's changed my life!

j said...

My dad writes us letters each week and I think thats what he counts as his journal writing. At my grandparents' house (his parents) they have binders full of letters written to them by their children and I had some time the other day to sit down and read some of my dads letters from when he was growing up and in college and when us kids were little. It was really cool.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that no, you don't have to keep a "journal" per se, but its nice to write things down in a place where your kids can read them some day.

Linda said...

I just plan to talk to my kids. I think that should do it. If I die or something, I've talked to plenty of other people so they should be able to fill in. maybe?

The blog will save me too I guess.
This is something to think about!

I LOVE the random shuffle. I get to play the game of "can I name the band within the first two seconds of the song?" Great game. I impress myself sometimes!

Kylee said...

man, i hear ya... I actually love to write about life and things in general and up until I started blogging I had written in some kind of a journal since I was 9. The Blog killed the journal--fast. So now I try to write in a journal things I don't post on my blog and even steal from my blog to put in my journal. whatever works...right?

Rachel said...

I'm a journal lover, mostly because I'm pretty crazy and I have to tone the craziness down for the blog. So when I'm institutionalized my kids can read my J and know how I got there.

Jeje said...

I find that when I'm keeping a regular journal, I am more reflective at the end of the day and therefore recognize God's hand in my life daily and am much more grateful. Also, I'm able to look back on my journal and see patterns in my life and my thought-process. Anyway, my point is that I certainly don't write for posterity's sake (and actually hope that my posterity doesn't see some of what I write), but that I write for myself.

Just my thoughts on the matter. However, DO NOT feel guilt over not being a regular journal-writer.